|“||The protagonist of this adventure is a quizzical lad from the human world. With the courage bestowed upon him by the Chicken god Menie-Funie, he embellishes the Legendary Chicken Suit and plunges into an admirable crusade to save Morning Land from eternal night.||”|
–Timm Bogenn in Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg: Official Strategy Guide
Billy Hatcher is the main protagonist in the game Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. He is an inquisitive boy from the human world. After rescuing a weakened chick from an attacking crow, he and his three friends were chosen by Menie-Funie to save The Chicken Elders and return the Light to Morning Land. He is a bit mischievous, but would do anything to save Morning Land.
White helmet with red combs protruding from it, and blue ovals at the sides, azure blue fingerless gloves, white sleeveless shirt, red neckerchief, blue trousers, blue and brown shoes with two gold rectangles on each side.
- Rolly Roll - A light-hearted and carefree girl. She always tries to help others who are in trouble, but can sometimes be a bit scatter-brained.
- Chick Poacher - Chick may look small, but his spirit is strong, giving him a misplaced air of superiority. He has a tendency to act before thinking, which always makes his friends a little nervous.
- Bantam Scrambled - The heavy and powerful friend of Billy, Rolly, and Chick. Bantam is a gentle giant and only uses his strength to look after his friends. Despite his rough outward appearance, he adores cuteness and hates injustice.
Appearances In Other Media
- Billy Hatcher later had a minigame in the Eyetoy game Sega Superstars for the PlayStation 2.
- He also made an appearance in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity as an unlockable character.
- He is also a playable character in the racing game, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.
- Later Billy and his friends appeared in the Archie Comics crossover event Worlds Unite, where they defeated Wind Crowrang after he invaded Forest Village.
- Like the other protagonists, Billy's surname, "Hatcher" is a pun on eggs (as birds are born by hatching from eggs). It could also be a nod to how the player constantly hatches eggs during gameplay.
- Billy is the only one of the four protagonists whose first name is not also a pun. This was probably done intentionally to give the character a catchy name that didn't sound too ridiculous.
- His character strongly resembles that of Sonic The Hedgehog. In fact, if you look at the box art of Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg and Sonic Adventure 2, you will see that Billy's pose is very similar to Sonic's.
- Billy Hatcher was created by Yuji Naka, the same creator of Sonic The Hedgehog.
- The opening cutscene of the game implies that Billy, along with Rolly, Chick, and Bantam were bird watchers (with particular fondness for chickens) before being appointed as defenders of Morning Land.
- Interestingly enough, Billy does not appear at all in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed, yet Rolly, Chick, and Bantam do make cameo appearances.
- Billy seems to have a problem with timekeeping as in the introduction he realises he is late and hurries to meet his friends. And upon arrival they explain he is late and seem annoyed with him.